GLOBAL SKIN DIFFERENCE: ASIAN SKIN
When you think of Asian skin, which would you say is true?
- Asian skin is fair and delicate
- Asian skin is darker and firm
If you choose either one, you are partially correct. Believe it or not, both are correct!
The majority of the Asian population has darker skin. The difference in the lighter or darker skin tone is determined by the location they reside. Those located in the Northeastern region (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) have a lighter complexion because of a limited amount of sun exposure. The Southeastern Asian (Indonesian, Malaysians, Singaporeans, Thais, Cambodians, Vietnamese, and South or Central Asians (Indians, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, Bangladeshis, are closer to the equator receiving more sunlight. Therefore, those located in this region will have a darker skin tone.
ASIAN SKIN BENEFITS?
- No matter if an Asian is from either region, both are reported to have a thicker dermis.
- Skin is firmer because of excess collagen fibers.
- Collagen fibers provides strength and resilience to skin.
- Collagen fibers are flexible and strong and slows the aging process.
- Skin barrier is well protected due to having the most ceramide (lipids or fatty acids – a natural moisturizer) delivery preventing permeability, protecting it from environmental damage.
- Increased melanin for better photo-protection.
COMMON SKIN CONDITIONS
- Hyperpigmentation – Hyperpigmentation is a darkening of the skin caused by pigment granules (melanin) being over-stimulated by sun exposure, hormones, prescription drugs, mechanical trauma, skin disorders, etc. Genetics may play a role in hyperpigmentation.
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation – Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation is one of the common problems for Asians. This condition seen as a residual dark spot or patch after acne, an inflammatory disorder such as eczema, an allergic reaction, and an infection.
- Melasma – Melasma is a condition characterized by dark patches which are symmetrically distributed. The most common areas, which is exposed to the sun frequently, are the cheeks, upper lip, chin and forehead.
- Lentigines – Lentigines are small size spots seen in fairer skin Asians. The usual cause are a family history and, prolonged exposure to sunlight.
- Hyperpigmentation –
- Kojic Acid
- Vitamin A (Retinol)
- Alpha Arbutin
THE BEST PRODUCT FOR HYPERPIGMENTATION
Natural Radiance Starter Kit – https://bit.ly/2H3SLa5
Pigment Control Kit: https://bit.ly/2FGMvEh
- Actopic Dermatitis
- Shea butter
- Hyaluronic Acid
THE BEST PRODUCT FOR ATOPIC DERMATITIS
Barrier Repair Kit – https://bit.ly/3lYuCAj
Resources: Dayan, Nava, Skin Aging Handbook
Harvard Health Publishing, Inflammatory Skin Conditions